Popular Posts

Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Recommendation - ARLO

Here is something I have been using for a just over a month now. remember I do not make many recommendations and will only recommend stuff I use...... and I do not get paid to endorse anything.


This is the ARLO camera system and I have had it set up for about a month.

http://www.arlo.com/en-us/?cid=PSarlogoogleps10.26AW-Brand&gclid=CITqj96S3MoCFRSIfgodJDcDfg

We had a little situation at the house just before X-MAS. Neighbors noticed someone going through the wife's truck!!!! They came outside, the person jumped in a car and drove off! THANK YOU NEIGHBORS!!!


Luckily nothing was taken! On a side note....... I was vindicated on a 20 year old "discussion" between myself and my better half...... she has a habit of leaving the truck unlocked..... Remember if the door is locked in most cases the bad guy will move on.

Needless to say I was annoyed and did some searching on the internet. I had bought cameras when we first moved into the house but was unhappy and returned two sets before I just put the idea on the back burner. This time the search did not take long for me to find something which fit what I wanted. I wanted easy to set up, no running wires throughout the house, battery powered so I did not have to hire someone to run power and discrete. No sense having giant cameras sticking out everywhere screaming "WE GOT STUFF TO STEAL". The idea here is not to scare off the bad guys but to have a record of what happen. The ARLO system has fit all of these.


The cameras are small, can be used inside or outside and have infrared capabilities. You can operate them right from your phone or lap top after setting up an account with ARLO. Which only takes a few moments. You also get limited free storage space on the ARLO system.



The system is really easy to set up right out of the box. The only thing which takes a little while to figure out is the motion detection system and setting up when you want the cameras to record. After a few days I figure most of the system out. I do keep tweaking the sensitivity and angle of the cameras to cut down on the cameras recording things I do not want recorded. The first few days I got video of every car going down the street and when the neighbors walked their dogs. All very interesting but not something I want a recording of.


I did have to run over to Best Buy and pick up one of these brackets to get the angle I wanted on one of the cameras. Right out of the box they only have the magnetic ball mounts and although these are great I couldn't get the angle I wanted.


The quality of the video is really surprising! Even at night the video is good.



Battery life is over a month and so far I have only had to change the batteries on the camera watching the front door. Five weeks and two days before the battery indicator was low enough I figured I better change batteries. I also like how the video is saved on the internet and not at the house. Even if someone breaks in they can not take what has been recorded.

The cameras do not work in real time. You can watch the cameras live on your phone or other device but there is a delay. I had fun walking around trying the cameras out while looking at myself! The delay is a few seconds. Only other issue I have had which could be called bad is the motion sensors. You have to position the camera so someone goes across the view to trigger the motion sensor. Given the lay out of the house this is kind of hard in a couple of spots. Had UPS drop some stuff off and unless they are ninja the camera did not work right. Not a deal killer just something to work with.

If you are looking for something to add to the security around your home I do recommend these cameras. Think of them as another layer to ensuring the safety of your family and maybe having more information to turn over to Law Enforcement should something happen. And always remind your better half to LOCK THE DOORS!!!! (she going to be mad I wrote about that)

As Always,

Stay Safe!!!  



No comments:

Post a Comment