Popular Posts

Sunday, January 11, 2015

$20 - pasta @ Von's

Errands for the day took me past Vons today and I stop in to see what I could pick up for twenty dollars. I rarely shop at Vons and had to spend time looking around to find what I wanted. Which I guess is a good thing, I now know where most of the major items are in the store if I was ever in a hurry and walked in there.

I wanted to focus on pasta type items I could pick up. Since I do not shop there often I had to take extra time to read the price tags and compare different items. Which is something we should always do when shopping, this little trip reminded me of this. In this case I found no name items, which were cheaper, right next to better known brands. Comparing items allows us to buy more for less, in most cases there is absolutely no difference other than the box items come in.


The advantage to buying pasta in the box is you can cook as much as you need right then. With some premade boxes you kind of have to cook everything at one time. Having the box also let's you season the food to your liking. Especially useful when you have a picky eater in the house!!!! In addition to picking up a few boxes of pasta I decided to purchase a few different flavored sauce cans. I could have used the money for more pasta but adding the sauce gave me some easy to make meals. Pasta by itself is really no fun to eat!!


Having different types of flavors lead me to buy the different types of pre-made boxes. Even with the Top Ramen I wanted to make sure there different flavors. One package is shrimp and the other is regular flavored.


With any of these items you can add other items from your cupboard to create different or larger meals. Something as simple as adding items from your can goods or staple items can aid in making any of these items a complete and filling meal. Remember when you are shopping for "emergency food" you can find cheap, tasty and healthy meals for your family.

You just need "one more meal"!

When I went to check out the cashier was nice enough to run a generic "club card" through the scanner. My original price was $19.52 and I saved five dollars or so after he ran the card. Being a regular shopper at stores can pay off over the long run. Had I known the discount was coming I could have added more items to the total purchase!!! When I was comparing prices I could see the price for club members and I figured this into how many items I bought. I will take the five dollars and save this for next time I go shopping for stuff.


When we are able, as in this case, we should shop to ensure we have a variety of flavors in our pantry or storage. Eating the same thing every day gets really old, really fast. Anyone who has been money challenged for a while or in the military can attest to this! Once you get tired of eating the same thing you start to eat less. Less you eat the lower your energy level will be and eating less can even affect you immunity. You could find yourself in a deadly downward spiral of eating less, having less energy to do things (like find food) and at some point you will not accomplish any task to better your position. This is something we do not want to happen during any event. Something as simple as having three different types of sauce could make the difference.


Next time you go shopping make sure and compare prices and if you can become a ‘member’ of the store to save additional money. Money you can use in other areas to assist you and your family to be better prepared.

As Always,

Stay Safe

No comments:

Post a Comment